Looking for more premium score-improving SAT Essay information?
In my SAT prep bookstore, you’ll find two helpful books about the SAT essay that are an inexpensive and easy way to get my professional essay-writing advice!
The SAT Essay time limit is extremely short – you only 25 minutes to read a random prompt and produce an effective essay that responds to that prompt.
Despite these difficult requirements, your main goal is to write as much as possible without going off-topic.
So how should you best use your limited SAT essay time? Here’s some advice from a pro SAT tutor and perfect scorer.
Best uses of your limited time on the SAT Essay:
- Have your SAT essay evidence ready and researched ahead of time. This will save you so much time that I’m not sure how anyone writes the SAT essay without it.
- Plan on planning: use the first several minutes to outline your argument and essay; this will pay off big when you have a strong, well-planned essay structure that keeps you on track.
- Focus more on the actual prompt question than the words in the box above the prompt – that box is only there to provide a little bit more to think about, but it is NOT the question that you need to answer.
- Identify keywords in the prompt like “leadership,” “progress,” “technology,” etc.
- Match your evidence to the keywords. Since you should have at least 5 pieces of SAT essay evidence ready, you’ll want to narrow it down to the evidence that BEST relates to the topic.
- Decide on your stance/thesis AFTER you’ve picked your evidence; go with whatever side is easiest to support with the facts you have memorized.
- Write a well-structured essay with a good intro paragraph, 2-3 great body paragraphs, and a solid conclusion
- Proofread if any time is left
Practice makes perfect! Read about my SAT Essay method guide to get a better idea of what you’re going for… then pick up a copy of my SAT essay evidence special report for helpful examples, and practice applying everything you’ve learned to real SAT essay prompts from the Official SAT Study Guide.